JUST A BLOG

Touching lives with the truth of God's Word.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Birmingham, Alabama, United States

Saturday, January 15, 2005

A PARABLE ON PRAYER

Then He said to them, "suppose one of you has a friend, and he goes to him at midnight and says,' Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, because a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him.' "Then the one inside answers, ' Don't bother me. The door is already locked, and my children are with me in bed. I can't get up and give you anything.' I tell you, though he will not get up and give bread because he is his friend, yet because of the man's boldness he will get up and give him as much as he needs. "So I say to you; Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who ask receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. (Luke 11:5-10)

The point is not that we will get whatever we ask, if we are persistent, but that we should never be afraid to ask. We are not in the position of having to plead with an indifferent neighbor [As in the parable]. Because we are dealing with a loving Father who wants to supply our needs. In other words don't come to God only in midnight emergencies, but keep in constant communion with Him. Paul exhorted "pray without ceasing."

THE BEREAN NOTEPAD
Proclaiming the Word of God, rightly divided.